Recipe adopted from chowhound.com
Makes: 8 servings
- 2 cups water, plus more for steaming
- 3 cups Organic Traditions Coconut Palm Sugar
- 3 cups glutinous rice flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil plus more for coating a 9-inch cake pan
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 10 dried organic jujubes (pitted)
- ½ tsp sesame seeds (optional for garnish)
- Dissolve the water and coconut sugar on medium heat in a saucepan.
- Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with the oil and prepare a wok with water and a steamer.
- In a mixer, gently mix together the glutinious rice flour and water-sugar mixture until smooth. You can do this by hand too and take it as a nice workout for your biceps =)
- Gently mix in the oil mixture until well incorporated. And then add the almond extract and mix again.
- Pour into the cake pan and place into the steamer. Lightly cover the steamer either with foil or with a cover but don’t cover it directly.
- Steam on low to medium heat until firm, about 3 hours. Be sure to check the wok and replenish with water when needed.
- While the cake is warm, garnish with jujubes and sesame seeds.
- Let it cool on a rack before serving.