This is a healthier twist to candied brittle and caramel. Using raw cacao balances the sweetness and adds in a bit of crunch plus antioxidants. You also get a boost of protein by adding in nut butter which also gives it a nice creamy texture. My go to sugar alternative is always coconut palm sugar as it’s the easiest to work with and tastes the most similar to refined sugar. This Christmas, you can still choose to be healthy and eat your ‘cake’ too! =)
- 1/2 cup organic coconut palm sugar
- 4-5 tbsp water
- 1 cup raw Organic Traditions cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 4 large tbsp almond or hazelnut butter
- dash of nutmeg or cinnamon
- 5-6 drops of Concentrated Ginger
- Combine the sugar and water in a heated saucepan. Stir well until the sugar is moistened, let it boil for 2-3 minutes until it becomes thick.
- While the sugar is melting, cream the nut butter in a high speed blender so it is creamy and smooth and easier to mix.
- Turn heat off and stir in cacao nibs, coconut oil and creamed nut butter.
- Scrape the candy out onto a baking sheet and spread it into a thin, even layer. Allow it to cool completely at room temperature or the fridge until cool and hard.
- Break the candy into small pieces to eat. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Recipe by Denise Tam, Holistic Nutritionist